HOW TO CHANGE YOUR PROPERTY FACTOR
MOVING YOUR FACTORING TO HOMESBOOK IS SIMPLE
Thanks to recent legislation in Scotland, changing your factor provider is very easy to do. Just follow these steps:
1. Your title deeds may contain rules on how to appoint and replace your factor and we can check this for you. Invariably you can instruct a change by reaching a majority decision.
If your title deeds do not make provision for replacing your factor (for example because the factoring arrangements are not mentioned) don't worry. Section 4 of the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004 allows you to make decisions about your property.
2. The simplest way to change your factor is to call a meeting of homeowners, or perhaps discuss via an email group.
3. If you decide that you wish to change factor, put together a simple letter along the following lines:
'We, the owners of the property known as X, met on Y date and resolved to terminate your appointment as a property factor in terms of our title deeds. This decision is effective forthwith. (signed)'.
(For the avoidance of doubt, it would be very useful to list all of the individual addresses within the building or development. We can supply you with a letter template, and we can even attend your residents meeting to help you understand the legislation and how it protects homeowners in Scotland.)
4. Make sure that at least half of owners sign it; make a copy and send the original to your factor by recorded delivery post.
5. They are legally obliged to send you a final statement of account for your review.
Remember: either your title deeds or the 2004 Act will give you the legal right to terminate your factor's appointment. The property belongs to you, and the decision on who you pay to manage your property is also yours. Of course, we are on hand to advise.
Just pick up the phone and call us on 0141 776 4494 or send an email to and we will do our best to help.
111 Cowgate, Kirkintilloch
Tel: 0141 776 4494
Registration #: PF000484
Copyright © 2017 HomesBook Property Services Limited.
Legal, Corporate & Privacy Information